By Stacy Hawkins Adams
Every successful organization or business has a mission statement or brand statement that drives its leaders’ decision making and direction – why not you?
I shared this perspective recently with a group of women and men that I led through a series of teleconference calls about purpose, goal-setting and faith; and during our discussion, I offered to give them a peek at my personal library – the one filled with books that have guided and shaped my perspective on life, living with intention and executing with excellence.
As we sit on the verge of a new year, which always brings with it hope for second, third or any number of new chances and possibilities, I decided to also share these literary gems with you.
I’ve read the books listed here over a 15-year (or so) period, at various stages of adulthood and maturity; so you may find a few of the titles too elementary. Perhaps you can recommend those particular books to young adults you’re mentoring or helping raise.
Yet some of the books I’ve chosen may indeed pique your interest, grace your reading list and help you grow, too.
Vastly more important than having you embrace the topics and authors that have resonated with me is for the list to serve as a catalyst for you becoming a version of yourself that you can consistently honor and love.
Indeed, all of these books have been foundational in some manner to the expansion of my heart, my vision, my perspective, my dreams and my faith:
- Listen to Your Life: Following Your Unique Path to Extraordinary Success by Valorie Burton
- Making Life Work: Putting God’s Wisdom into Action by Bill Hybels
- The Measure of Our Success: A Letter to My Children and Yours by Marian Wright Edelman
- The Life God Blesses: Weathering the Storms of Life that Threaten the Soul by Gordon MacDonald
- Wouldn’t Take Nothing for My Journey Now by Maya Angelou
- If You Want to Walk on Water, You’ve Got to Get Out of the Boat by John Ortberg
- In Search of Satisfaction by J. California Cooper
- The Testament by John Grisham
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
I could include quite a few more! This is just a start, to jumpstart your efforts to embrace reading that can help you wake up, get up, trust yourself, believe in your dreams and stretch to new heights.
Buy a new journal to record your thoughts from the books you choose to read. Use that same journal to craft a personal mission statement or brand value, based on who you want to become.
As a man (or woman) thinketh, so is he (or she). The words you ingest matter, and so do you. Read your way to wholeness, joy and purpose, then write that vision – with tangible steps and timelines – to ensure that your goals become your reality.
I’m rooting for you.