By Stacy Hawkins Adams
Ever heard the phrase Don’t just talk about it, be about it?
It offers a nudge to stop explaining what we would do if there weren’t obstacles and to start doing something – anything – that moves us in the direction of our dreams.
A guest minister at the Virginia church I attend delivered an electrifying message yesterday that reiterated the importance of growing past one’s comfort zone. Her tone wasn’t fiery, but the truths she delivered were, and I thought they were worth sharing. Here’s a paraphrased summary of the wisdom she imparted to encourage each listener to get up and get moving:
– If you really want something different, act like it.
– Don’t talk about wanting a change while settling comfortably into your longtime (uncomfortable) status quo, and don’t expect anyone else to do your heavy lifting.
– When you get serious about growing as a person and enlarging your territory, your desires can direct you to your destiny.
– Exceptional desire yields exceptional results.
– Every inch you take toward a new destiny moves you closer to actually achieving it, no matter how small your movement and no matter how long it takes. Your effort, multiplied by God’s grace, will get you there in His perfect timing.
– Do what you must in order to thrive, not just survive.
As the guest minister advised in her closing, we each must find the courage to stop living where we are not challenged, because in challenge comes change, and in change comes growth and opportunities to live out our unique purpose.
Are you up to the task? Are you ready to shift – to actually receive what you’ve long claimed you want? If so, now is the time. Today is your day. Go seize your victory – one prayer, coupled with one step, at a time.
(Note: The guest minister’s sermon was based on John 5:2-9.)